Sunday, November 17, 2013

2011 Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis


Just this past week, we've learned that Trevor Bayne, famously known for bringing the Wood Brothers Racing team back to victory lane, in the fairy tale known as the 2011 Daytona 500, has been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.

According to the National MS Society, Multiple Sclerosis (Also known as MS), is a chronic, often disabling disease that attacks the central nervous system. Symptoms over time have been shown as a wide variety, extending from just a numb or tingling feeling, to severe paralysis. MS is a very unpredictable and a currently non-curable disease.

A few months after his Daytona 500 victory, Trevor Bayne was forced to sit out two months of racing for what doctors thought was Lyme Disease. The medication that Bayne would have to take was enough to keep him off the track for months.


The news of his diagnosis did not keep Bayne down at all. In fact, in a public interview, Bayne appeared to be content and positive, going on to say that he has been cleared to race for the 2014 NASCAR Nationwide Series season. Bayne will pilot the #6 Advocare Ford Fusion for Roush Fenway Racing for all 33 races on the Nationwide schedule, with the hope of a championship trophy.

According to Trevor, "I've never been more driven to compete. My goals are the same that they have been since I started racing. I want to compete at the highest level and I want to win races and championships. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in and I feel good. There are currently no symptoms and I'm committed to continuing to take the best care of my body as possible. I will continue to trust in God daily and know that his plan for me is what is best."

No comments:

Post a Comment